Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
SD Card Backup

2287 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: 2016-10-18 18:50:35

•   Level 4   
    (119) points
    John Clark
    2016-10-11 22:11:54
    I'm trying to make a backup of my SD card for my DS708.  I put it in the card reader on my computer but when I attempt to copy the files to a folder on my laptop the file explorer windows calculate for a moment and then just close.  I tried another computer (both Win 7) and I'm having similar problems.  The folders won't copy over.

I do get a pop up message in Windows when I insert the card that wants me to "scan and fix" the card.  Is this safe to do?  My subscription is expired so I don't want to screw up the card but I'd like to have a backup card.

Thanks, 

•   Level 7   
    (885) points
    fware

2016-10-14 14:30:56 (Reply to:John Clark)

I used 7zip (free and good) to create a ZIP file holding the full content of the SD.
    Windows build in feature does not allow you to select the place of the ZIP and wants to write it to the SD.... so not fine.

Basically the scan and fix is safe and seems to be needed. But you can skip it until you have the ZIP created.

•   Level 4   
    (119) points
    John Clark
    2016-10-18 18:50:35 (Reply to:fware)
      I managed to get a copy of the card using TeraCopy.  Unfortunately, it skipped quite a few files and I've noticed that some (fortunately more obscure) makes don't work.  When attempting to copy some files TeraCopy reported "Cyclic Redundancy Error" which is usually not a good thing.  I haven't yet done the scan and fix to see if it resolves it.  Since I've got two copies of the original card now (less some corrupted files) I figured I'd just leave it alone and hopefully not make anything worse on the original card. 

Thanks for the 7zip idea.  I have that already so I'll see if 7zip will zip the entire thing.  My guess is it will also error.  I worry that the scan and fix will also error and cause more problems than I already have with the card. 

I picked up the complete scanner with case and all accessories on Craigslist for only $225 (it's legit and the previous owner had Autel transfer the serial number over to my Autel ID) .  It worked fine on my GM pickup when I tested it before buying but I didn't remove the card and put it in a laptop before buying.   I'm obviously not in it very much but I still don't want to pay the outrageous price for an update.  Still amazes me that an update for these can cost nearly as much as a new scanner.  $3-400 seems reasonable to me for an update.  $600 on an update for a scanner that can be bought new for around $850?  Ouch. 
  Total1 Pages